Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Year Later.

In two days it will be one year since my world was turned upside down in a matter of minutes. In retrospect, I am glad it happened. The events of last January made me a stronger person, and taught me a lot about myself--turns out I'm not as hardcore as I think I am sometimes.

I was reading back on it this evening, and found this:
"As a result, I am scared. Scared to live alone, scared to be at work, scared to do the things in life that I normally do. I never realized before today how completely free I feel most of the time, and how unafraid I am during my daily life. I go running in the dark without a second thought, I leave my door unlocked, and I do things that I probably shouldn't just because I live in a small town and don't think anything can happen."


It seems very recent to have felt that way, and yet I just got back from a run in the dark, and I think I'm feisty as ever.

In the year since I quit my job, I have managed to find another (better) job where I am incredibly happy. I ran a marathon. I met and began dating The Boyfriend. I regained some of the confidence that I lost due to fear. But a tiny chunk of me will always be a little bit affected by a couple minutes in my life from last January.

It's weird looking back on things. And even weirder how they affect us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

very true...

Nike Athena said...

This made me cry. You have come such a long way and I am so proud of you. Life changing moments can break us or make us stronger - you chose the better of the two and your life has blossomed because of it. Keep on rocking. =)