Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm so old.

On Saturday I will be turning 24. When I was younger I always imagined I would be married by the time I hit my mid-20s. I was such a silly child… Being single rocks. I wish the 10-year-old Leslie knew that.

Anyway, I have just discovered that this week is Unmarried and Single Americans Week! Seriously, September 21 through September 27, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Check that out! According to their press release 54 percent of women 18 and older are single. I have so many fellow singletons! Here I thought I was the only one.

I think being single gives me a sense of accomplishment that I would be lacking otherwise. When I have a problem, I deal with it. Sure I have family and friends to lean on, but for the most part, I have myself. I’m okay with that. The bitter and cynical side of me tends to think that I can only rely on myself because other people will just disappoint you. But in the grand scheme of things, is it so bad to know that at least I am capable of taking care of myself?

I also tend to think that being single has made me a stronger woman. I know plenty of women who rely on their boyfriends or husbands to do certain things for them—fixing cars, moving heavy objects, opening jars, etc, etc, etc. Sure, there are exceptions to that rule. I would be doing some serious stereotyping if I thought otherwise. But in my case I know that if I don’t do something myself, it won’t get done. And I’m okay with that.

I’m at a very liberated point in my life right now. And I’m not just saying that because I mowed the lawn last night and decided it was okay not to rake afterward (it is cold as balls outside! The first day of fall arrived with a vengeance). What I mean is, I have a freedom in my life that attached people do not have. If I want to pick up and move, I can. If I want to stay in my pajamas all weekend and do nothing, I can (but probably won’t cause I get restless when I try to do that). If I want to take a random weekend getaway to Vegas and marry a stranger, I can. The only thing holding me down is the dog, and she’s a rock star, so really she isn’t a burden.

In addition to this lovely celebration of singlehood, it has also been pointed out to me that the local Oktoberfest celebration is on my birthday. The universe totally loves me!

No comments: